New King Trailer GTS48 Joins M&M Low Loaders Fleet
Nearly finished levelling the Leisure Centre at Nantyglo, Cardiff Demolition move onto Merthyr. Here their 48 tonne (Including attachments) Volvo is just loading up.
Merthyr, with it’s Dowlais and Cyfarthfa Iron works were the largest in the world by 1850! Merthyr’s population had grown from circa 8000 in 1801 to 46,000 by 1851 becoming the largest town in Wales (Cardiff pop 1851 27,000) Lord Nelson visited Merthyr in 1802
Following the development of the coal found in the Cynon and Rhondda valley’s and Merthyr area of South Wales, the export of both coal and iron products required a sea connection to the Bristol Channel if economic volumes of product were to be created. In 1794, the Glamorganshire Canal was completed, linking the then small town of Cardiff with Merthyr, and in 1798 a basin was built, connecting the canal to the sea. By the 1830s, Cardiff became the pre-eminent iron-exporting port, shipping almost half of British overseas iron exports; between 1840 and 1870, the volume of coal exports increased from 44,350 to 2.219 million tonnes. By 1889 this figure had risen to 9 million tonnes!
1889 Barry docks opens shipping 1 million tonnes of coal and by 1903 it was shipping 9million tonnes, greater than Cardiff to become the main export route for Welsh coal, shipping coal to as far away places as India and Argentina